Principles of the Guild
- We are a community of people who understand what it is to be a writer – we understand the challenges at all levels of writing from the first draft to the final book.
- We are an inclusive group who welcome writers in all stages of their career from the feeling that you would like to write to the published author*
- We welcome all types and styles of writers, from high fantasy to non-fiction, erotic fiction to fanfiction, novels to poetry.
- We exist for mutual promotion and support in our writing.
- We are not going to do the work for you. We will happily help but the work is and always will be yours.
- We aim to keep the community apprised of events relevant to our shared interests.
* “Published” is not exclusive to publishing houses.
Code of conduct
As a community of writers it is expected that all our members behave in a professional, respectful manner toward all other members.
The following four behaviours will earn you a written* warning, three warnings for any combinations of these violations will be grounds for expulsion from the Guild. Two warnings for the same offence will be grounds for expulsion. You will be given a single opportunity to desist if it is deemed that your actions were unintentional.
*written may be physical or electronic.
- Engaging in a manner that makes another member feel uncomfortable or disturbed.
- Engaging in behaviour that is disturbing or upsetting to another person.
- Overly critical or personal critiques. We engage in the critiquing system to improve our writing so find something constructive to say, and say it in a constructive manner or say nothing at all.
- Threatening behaviour of any kind will result in a warning. If it is deemed that the guilty party deliberately meant harm to another person emotionally or physically they will be banned instantly and with no further warning.
If anyone within the Guild is exhibiting behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable, please inform one of the Admin team immediately. We will monitor their behaviour, provide support (walking you to your car, etc) and if required or requested can speak with the person on your behalf.
If you suspect that your behaviour may have made someone uncomfortable DO NOT attempt to catch them alone to apologise. Contact one of the Admin team and we will act as either an intermediary, mediator or a support person as the situation requires.
If you feel that a member of the Admin team is harassing you please speak to one of the other Admin. No one is above the Code of Conduct.